During these difficult times, communication is very important for our patients. While we as chiropractors understand the relationship of spinal adjustments for health and well being, perhaps some simpler explanation(s) may help them.
The Science: The immune system is affected by the nerve system and the relationship between the endocrine and autonomic nervous system. Chiropractic adjustments improve the function of the nerve system through motion improvement of the spinal vertebral (bones) that encase and protect the spinal cord.
Spinal adjustments have been shown to boost immune function because they serve to correct the spinal misalignment’s that cause neural dysfunction. Neural dysfunction stresses a body out, which may lead to a weakened immune system and lowered response to a foreign body, such as the cold virus. Even one adjustment can cause an immediate immune boost.
The Literature; Brief Excerpts:
- Robert Blanks PhD and colleagues (1997):….the incidence of colds and flu were reduced by an average of 15% in this large population study who were undergoing regular chiropractic care.
- Allen, J.M. (1993) a summary of recent research regarding the connection between chiropractic adjustments and immunocompetence.
- P. Brennan, Kokjohn, Killinger CL, et al (1991) summary that enhanced phagocytic cell respiratory burst induced by spinal manipulation immune responses are affected positively.
- Murray DR, Irwin M. Reandon CA et al (1992) summary that the nervous system has a direct effect on the immune system due to the nerve supple to the important immune system organs.
- Ronald Pero PhD, chief of cancer prevention research at New York’s Preventative Institute and professor of medicine at New York University (1989) summary of a three year study found that individuals who have been under chiropractic care for five years or more were found to have a 200% greater immune competence and a 400% greater immune competence with cancer and other serious diseases compared to those who had not received chiropractic care. Additionally, the immune system superiority of those under chiropractic care did not diminish with age.